Conservative Column

Drinking and smoking age should be lowered to 18

Elizabeth Billman | Assistant Photo Editor

Regardless of if someone agrees or disagrees with smoking or drinking at 18, if an American can be of legal voting age, they have the agency of living as a responsible adult.

Since the founding of this great nation in 1776, we have allowed young men and women to sacrifice their lives in order to protect United States citizens. We have allowed people 18 and older to be considered adults in the eyes of the government and tried accordingly in a court of law. And, up until the mid- to late-1900s, we have allowed them to make their own decisions regarding drinking alcohol or smoking.

When an 18-year-old has the responsibility of voting and is considered an adult, they should be responsible enough to decide if they want to drink or smoke. But last month, President Donald

Trump signed legislation to amend the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, effectively raising the age to buy and use tobacco products from 18 to 21. This new law includes cigarettes, e-cigs and cigars. Before December, the minimum smoking age was either 18 or 19, depending on the state.

At first glance, raising the minimum age to smoke tobacco products seems like a good idea. It enforces decreased smoking in younger generations and effectively lowers the death toll from smoking-related illnesses, like lung cancer. However, we live in America. So, shouldn’t our rights as U.S. citizens and legal adults allow us to decide the fate of our own health?

Regardless of if someone agrees or disagrees with smoking or drinking at 18, if an American can be of legal voting age, they have the agency of living as a responsible adult. In a democratic society, voting is important and often determines the fate of the nation. The president is the commander in chief, has executive power and is the face of the United States internationally. By placing the power to vote in the hands of young people, the government is giving them a great responsibility that can impact the nation.

Similarly, once a teenager turns 18, they are considered an adult in the eyes of the law. They can go to prison and serve a severe sentence, join the military and manage their own medical decisions and finances. All of these responsibilities are considered fair because, at 18, a person should be mature enough to handle their life affairs and make responsible decisions for themselves.

U.S. Army Captain Stephen M. Waltenbaugh, an assistant professor of military science at SU, agrees. The government cannot pick and choose certain ages that people are responsible for. You are responsible enough to do what the government wants, like serve in the military and vote, or you are not. If you are, then you should also be responsible for your decisions.

“[At 18] you’re either A, an adult, or B, not an adult,” Waltenbaugh said. “If A, you’re an adult, you should be afforded all the rights and privileges afforded to any adult. That means the right to drink, smoke and do all the unhealthy things adults tend to do.”

This is the problem with Trump’s new law and the alcohol laws already in place. If the government wants to give young people responsibilities that hold them accountable, then they should also be responsible for decisions regarding their health, like smoking or drinking.

Although I do not encourage drinking or smoking, I do advocate for laws that are fair and make sense. When a U.S. citizen can go to war and vote, but not relax with a drink, the government clearly needs to reevaluate the age at which a citizen becomes responsible for all of their actions.

Skylar Swart is a freshman political science major. Her column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at saswart@syr.edu. She can be followed on Twitter at @SkylarSwart.