Former Syracuse All-American Nick Mariano selected No. 4 in 2017 Major League Lacrosse Draft

Ally Moreo | Photo Editor

The second team All-American finished the 2017 season with 34 goals and 16 assists

The Florida Launch selected midfielder Nick Mariano with the fourth pick in the first round of the 2017 Major League Lacrosse Draft. Thomas Mariano, Nick’s older brother, is the head coach of the Launch.

For the second straight year, SU has produced a first round pick, and Syracuse was the only team in this year’s draft with two players to go in the first round.

The former Syracuse All-American has been the firepower of the offense since transferring from Massachusetts midway through his collegiate career. The 6-foot, 181-pound midfielder led the Orange in goals (34) and second in points (50) this season, one that ended in an NCAA quarterfinals loss to Towson. Last year, Mariano led SU in goals (35).

At Syracuse, Mariano has played both attack and midfield, and his best attribute is his low-to-high shot. He has also developed his left hand, which contributed to extra offense late in the year for SU.

Mariano’s selection is the first Syracuse player off the board. Sergio Salcido and Scott Firman are two other players that can see their names called Sunday afternoon.