From The Runway

Here are 3 ways to lighten up your look this winter

Connor Bahng | Staff Photographer

Layering with a favorite flannel is an easy way to lighten up you attire in the gloominess of winter.

Let’s be honest: The spring semester weather in Syracuse is not always a winter wonderland. It’s cold, windy, sometimes gloomy and can put people in a rut — even worse, a fashion rut.

It’s easy to get lazy when getting up in the morning in the dead of winter. Lots of people resort to a sweatshirt and sweatpants and trek off to their first class half-asleep and totally fatigued. For those who are not from the East Coast and may not know why they feel a bit different than usual this time of year, it is not you: It’s the weather.

Seasonal affective disorder is a mood disorder that comes with the changes in season. Reduced exposure to sunlight and more darkness make the winter months the most popular time of the year for SAD. An increase in the hormone melatonin can effect sleep patterns and mood with excessive darkness. The result: Our “body clocks” can be a bit off beat, causing overwhelming fatigue in early times of the day.

Although you may not be diagnosed with SAD, it is safe to say that everyone feels the “winter blues” at some point living in central New York. For those who are used to a warmer climate, welcome to the tundra. But the saying is certainly true: If you look good, you feel good. Even if you feel like hitting snooze every morning, the following looks are easy to put together and are probably already in your closet.

Here are some tips on how to dress fashionably and practically for the upcoming winter months.

Layer, layers, layers
One of my favorite aspects of winter style is the fact that you can’t have enough layers. It may seem tricky to get it just right, but at the same time, you don’t want to feel like you are drowning in fabric.
Try starting off with a basic tank and working in different patterns and textures on top of each other. Possibly incorporate your favorite flannel and heavy oversized knit sweater. Playing with different patterns and fabrics can take your look to the next level. Not to mention, it’ll make you feel cozy and warm enough to bare the cold walking to classes.

Make your look versatile
If there is one coat every fashion girl should have in her closet, it’s the camel coat. The long, beige trench coat is a great addition to your closet because the possibilities are endless. It’s the key for a busy day of classes, meetings and presentations. Plus, it’s versatile. A coat on or off with this outfit will make you look your best all day. Play with accessories to make this look more wearable, adding a more dynamic feature to the look. A statement belt and a warm head piece is a great way to add pattern and break up the look a little bit.

The bigger the better
While preparing for the winter, you may have bought the biggest and fluffiest winter coat you could find. Dressing in a large winter coat may seem nearly impossible to make fashionable, but according to current trends from street-style experts like Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid, the bigger the better. This look is for the risk-taking street-styler. The key is not letting the coat wear you — you wear the coat. Be a bit bold and play around with some heavier fabric pieces in your closet — such as a pair of overalls — and pair them with a warm winter boot or a pair of dark Timberland boots. Pull the look together with a simple fedora which will make for an edgier look.