Women's Soccer

Eva Gordon scores lone goal in Syracuse women’s soccer’s 1-0 win over Army

Jessica Sheldon | Photo Editor

Eva Gordon (4) scored Syracuse's only goal in a 1-0 win over Army on Friday afternoon.

Eva Gordon scored the only goal to move Syracuse (2-0-1) past Army (0-3-0), 1-0, at home on Friday afternoon. The win comes off another shutout victory on Sunday when the Orange hosted Delaware.

“It wasn’t a particularly attractive soccer game,” SU head coach Phil Wheddon told Cuse.com. “The team fought hard, and they worked for each other, and they came out on top against a very good Army team.”

In the high temperatures, the first half between Syracuse and the Black Knights was a defensive stalemate. Each team only came away with three shots, putting one on target. Missed opportunities were the story for the Orange in the first half. Wheddon’s squad was unable to get a shot off from four different crosses and was the victim of six offside calls during the first 45 minutes.

Junior forward Sheridan Street also managed to pick up her first yellow card on the season. Freshman forward/midfielder Sydney Brackett sustained an injury and did not return to the game but was able to walk off the field on her own power.

A halftime substitution made the difference in the game as Gordon put a roller past Army goalkeeper Jordan Cassalia to put the Orange up by one. The ball bounced around following a Taylor Bennett corner before Gordon found the back of the net off the Street assist.

“Eva came in and gave us a spark,” Wheddon said. “She was at the right place at the right time.”

Following the goal, Syracuse switched to a more conservative tempo and failed to record a shot, but they deterred the Black Knights, who only notched one shot on goal during that period.

In the 62nd minute, a breakaway from Alana O’Neill ended with her walking off the field and subbing out with an injury to her midsection after she collided on the ground with Cassalia following a slide tackle.

One final attack in the closing minutes from Army nearly sent the game to overtime. Nicole Bautista got an open look in the 89th minute, just barely missing high in what was the last shot attempt for Army.

Syracuse and Army tied with eight shots apiece, with Orange narrowly edging them out with shots on goal (3-2). Army though was not called for a single offsides, while the Orange drew 11. SU’s 2-0-1 start is its best since 2004.

Syracuse will look to continue its winning streak as it hosts in-state rival Albany on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.